There are a lot of DO'S for actor demo reels, but about a million more DONT'S. We will go through them both, ensuring you maximize the potential of your footage.
First off, if you have NO FOOTAGE, I suggest Actors Screeners Shoot. You can get HD footage and it will look like you were on a high-budget film. I suggest this to new actors with no footage as well as actors who have footage, but really should have a high quality scene.
Okay, let's get cracking.
1. Have at least one high quality scene. It makes you look more professional.
2. Have at least three contrasting scenes.
3. Have your reel branded to the type of character you play.
4. Have your reel meet industry standards of length (under 2 minutes).
5. Have a title page with your contact information at the beginning and the end of your reel.
1. Fill your reel with montages. We want to see your acting, not clips of you doing different things.
2. Drag your reel on forever. This is not 7 Minutes in Heaven.
3. Have bad acting on your reel. It's best not to show something you aren't proud of.
4. Start off your reel with another actor as the focus. It confuses casting directors. and then they can't be bothered to watch more.
5. Have the reel start off automatically playing. If a casting director is in a quiet office and your reel music starts blasting they will immediately click out of it.
So, now what you know all the secrets- SHARE THEM! Good luck and let us know how this helps you!